Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Down Home Cookin'


Southern Belle Tumblr
My Daddy’s family is from Tennessee and my Momma’s family is from Arkansas and I consider myself a modern Southern Belle if you will.  My china pattern is new, my silverware is stainless steel, and I drink UNSWEET tea. I still say “Yes Ma’am” and “No Sir”, everyone is my Darlin’, and no on leaves my house hungry and they always have a plate to take home.

            My favorite thing that my Pawpaw fixes is a smoked Boston Butt. He smokes it all day and pulls it and makes Pulled Pork Sandwiches with it. It is the most Delicious BBQ is all of Arkansas, if not the whole South. As much as I love his BBQ we can’t make it down there from Virginia very often due to my job and I also have no room for a huge smoker like the one he uses. So I found a way to make it in my crock-pot!  You can’t have a Pulled Pork Sandwich without Slaw and Hot Sauce so I will include the recipes for those as well, but first the Pulled Pork.

Pulled Pork
Serves 16

Ingredients:

  • 4- pound boneless pork loin roast
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 2 cups chicken stock


Perpetration:

  1. Cut the roast into 3 pieces. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard powder, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper. Mix it up (I prefer to use a whisk when mixing dry ingredients because I feel I get a more even mixture that way).
  2. Sprinkle the dry rub over the pork roast and rub it into the surface.
  3. Cover and marinate the pork roast in the fridge overnight. In the morning place onions and garlic in the bottom of a 5-6 quart crock-pot. Put the pork roast on top.
  4. Pour the vinegar and chicken stock over top of all of it. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
  5. Remove pork from the crock-pot and shred it by using 2 forks.



PawPaw’s Hot Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1 64oz. jug of vinegar
  • ½ cup salt
  • ½ cup red pepper


 Preparation:

  1. Mix all ingredients in a large stock pot.
  2. Bring to a boil
  3. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes



My Momma’s Slaw
8-10 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 large head of cabbage, finely shredded
  • 1 medium sweet onions, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, grated


Dressing:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 cup cider vinegar

Preparation:
  1. Combine coleslaw vegetable ingredients; chopped cabbage, chopped bell pepper, chopped onions, and grated carrots in a large serving bowl. 
  2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved
  3. pour over vegetables and toss well. Cover and refrigerate overnight. 

That is a little bit of my past and what I am about. I'm Southern and proud of it. What kinds of Family Recipes do ya'll have? I would love to feature them on Tuesdays! Email them to crunchymomma88@gmail.com 

Later Ya'll









2 comments:

  1. I loooove me some BBQ, this sounds delicious! Thanks again for linking up!

    ReplyDelete